Stavely Elks #112

The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks Canada was founded on

December 27, 1912 with the institution of Vancouver Elks Lodge No. 1.

The influence of Elkdom quickly moved across the Dominion.  Alberta’s

first premier, the Right Honorable A.C. Rutherford served as Grand 

Exalted Ruler in 1917.  Right Honorable R.B. Bennett joined Calgary

Lodge No. 4 in 1929, one year before becoming Prime Minister of 

Canada.


The Stavely Elks Lodge was instituted on July 17, 1925 and was active

until 1942-45 when it became inactive during the war years.  In 1945 a

meeting was held and the lodge was restarted.  It continued to grow

reaching a high of 304 members in 1980.  We presently have 176 

members and are the largest lodge in Canada outside the major cities.

Members generally come from the M. D. of Willow Creek, but we also

have members from High River, Calgary, Grande Prairie, and even as

far away as Vancouver.  These far away members are usually people

that joined while living in or around Stavely and have just retained

their membership over the years.  We guess they do this so that when

they come back to Stavely to visit they can come out and attend a 

meeting or if it is a supper meeting they can enjoy an excellent meal 

with a number of friends.


It is worth to note that every year we have a new leader and have only

“recycled” an Exalted Ruler twice since 1945.  The last time that a 

member was Exalted Ruler for two years was 43 years ago in 1962.


The Stavely Elks held their first New Year’s Eve Dance in 1925 and it

continues to the present time.  Santa Claus first assisted the Stavely

Elks to present candy bags to the kids on December 22, 1925 which

we still do to this day at the School Christmas Concert.  The Stavely

Elks started the first annual kiddies picnic in the summer of 1928 at 

Willow Creek Park and continues it today at Centennial Park in the

town of Stavely.


The Elks were instrumental in building a covered curling and skating

rink in 1927/28 and, when it burnt down in 1958, helped with funding

and volunteered time for separate covered buildings in 1959.  The 

skating rink/arena was renovated in 1975 to include artificial ice, and

1980 with new dressing rooms and lobby renovations (with monetary 

help form the Elks).  Sadly in 1983, it burnt down again.  Undaunted 

the Elks stepped up and helped with money and many volunteer

hours to build yet another new arena in 1984.  In 2002 the ice surface

was expanded and the Elks contributed once again to this worthwhile

project.




Our Motto and Vision:


The Elks Motto is: “Promoting and Supporting Community Needs”


The Elks Vision Statement is:  “To be the most progressive family

focused organization in Canada.  Meeting community and member

needs and expectations.”


To learn more, please visit the following links:


Officers

Community 

Donations & Programs

2014 Spring/Summer Newsletter



sky3.jpg